Sunday, November 16, 2014

Hal Con 2014


So Hal-Con has now come and gone.  It was a crazy wild weekend filled with pretty well everything that you would want in a convention.  There were costumes everywhere you looked, celebrities for autographs and photos, panel discussions on all things from the world of Wheadon to cheese puns.  This was my third year attending Hal-Con but my first year with a vendor table.


I split the table with my partner in crime Raymond Dejardens, writer of comics Shenanigans Tales and Teva One.  My table was filled with the usual suspects, Cunning Jayne hats, Pokeballs, Star Trek Drink cozies, bow ties, and geeky cat toys.  As well I had a few exclusive items made for Hal-Con such as the Scott Pilgrim hat and T.A.R.D.I.S clutch purse.

There was quite a lot of interest from people on the craft itself.  Fellow knitters or crocheters loved chatting me up about my projects and talking about different techniques.  There were event quite a few people who wanted to know if I would teach them the basics of knitting.  It was very exciting.  Now I am filled with ideas to get a geeky stitch and bitch started in Halifax.

Handmade items were everywhere.  On the 1st floor in the exhibition area there were a couple other knit/crochet artists such as Little Bits and Out of the Broom Closet.  Plus there were so many knitted costume items that went by.  I saw someone with a crochet Link hat, and another with a knitted dwarf beard. 

One woman even made her own twilek hat and lightsabers for her and her husband.  









Then the next day she showed up in a crochet yoda hat!





Everywhere you looked there was madness happening.  Costumes of all shapes and sizes.  It was Definitely a weekend to bring extra batteries for the camera.  Day 1 I was dressed up as a unicorn and wore my wonderful horn from Kaidáin Ivy’s Sanctuary for Magical Misfits.
I spent the day prancing around and being generally magical when another horn popped up in the crowd.  
Immediately we ran to each other and high fives ensued.  






For day two I ventured out as the infamous Han Solo, complete with handmade wooden blaster and leather holster.  It seemed to be a good day for it as I ran into two other Han Solo cosplayers.  We discussed at length the differences between our costumes.  My blaster and holster were the envy of the other Solos.  Mostly because my holster was attached with a seat belt bucket which made for easy removal. (You don't want to have to fiddle with your holster when the time comes to go to the bathroom.  Functionality is cosplay 101).






Now that the weekend is over I don't know what to do with myself.  Guess it's time to get the holiday knitting started.  Or maybe I should just keep making Cunning Jayne hats.  The fun never ends!

See all my Hal-Con 2014 photos here.


More on Hal-Con: http://hal-con.ca/









No comments:

Post a Comment